Friday, December 10, 2010

Justice.

For the last five weeks, I have watched news coverage, read news articles written by my husband, and listened to his experiences with the Brian David Mitchell trial.

After hearing so much about it, I started to get upset with the fact that anyone could possibly think that this man deserved anything but a guilty verdict. So, I stopped listening, and followed as little as I could.

I was so glad to hear that he was found guilty today. I was afraid that he would be found innocent due to being "insane" and I worried about how that verdict would benefit so many other criminals out there. I feel like anyone can do knowingly do something horrible and then act as if they are "insane." There is no doubt that he is mentally ill, but not to the point of not being able to know right from wrong. He knew what he did was wrong the whole time he did it and used religion to justify it.

As for Elizabeth Smart, she is a great example of strength, courage, and hope. It is amazing to see someone who has been through so much pain smile again. It shows that no matter how dark things may get, there is hope that we will see brighter days.

2 comments:

Bliss said...

totally agree!

Anonymous said...

agree. SO happy to see him guilty. He is a little off kilter-- but he is definitely NOT legally insane. Love you!! SO HAPPY ABOUT YOUR JOB!!!